It’s creamy, it’s sweet…it’s like a favorite pair of pants. It fits any occasion.
Make your pie crust (see my Recipe section).
Coconut Cream Pie Filling
3/4 c. Sugar
3 tbsp. Cornstarch
1/4 tsp. Salt
3 c. Whole Milk
3 Egg Yolks
1 tsp. Vanilla
1/2 tsp. Coconut Flavoring (optional)
1/2 c. Shredded Coconut
- Mix together in saucepan: sugar, cornstarch, & salt. Stir dry ingredients until lumps disappear.
- Add milk & egg yolks to the saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat until mixture starts to bubble, stirring often.
- Once mixture reaches hard boil, cook one minute. Stir constantly.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla. Stir well.
- Let filling cool for 5 minutes.
- Turn oven on to 350 F.
- Spread 1/2 c. of shredded coconut in bottom of pie crust.
- Pour in coconut cream filling.
- Top filling with Calfslobber (see my Recipe section), then add a light sprinkle of coconut.
- Cook pie until Calfslobber and coconut begins to turn golden.
Make sure you keep an eye on the timer when you are boiling the filling. This is a crucial part of your pie interior, if it doesn’t thicken enough, you can have a runny pie. Which is fine, because it still tastes amazing! You just might have to eat it with a spoon.